We are delighted to announce that FIDE Master, former four-time Irish Champion and Rathmines club member John Delaney will give a chess talk in the club on Thursday, 23rd September, 2010, at 8pm. The topic will be the Open Sicilian with g3 (from White’s perspective).
All members are invited to attend!
There will be a nominal charge of €2. All proceeds will go towards junior chess development.
Yesterday, Una O’Boyle drew against her much-higher rated Icelandic opponent to hand Ireland their only points of the Women’s Olympiad so far. She reached an endgame two pawns up, but with opposite bishops. These are notoriously hard to win and the draw was a fair result. Today, Ireland play New Zealand, with Una on board 4.
Match 45. New Zealand v. Ireland
1. Milligan, Helen – Alfred, Emily
2. Maroroa, Sue – Shaughnessy, Elizabeth
3. Chen, Eachen – Hearne, Sarah-Jane
4. Fairley, Natasha – O’Boyle, Una
View all the games live here.
Incredibly (because there are over a hundred teams competing) Ireland play New Zealand in the Men’s section today too:
Match 47. New Zealand – Ireland
1. Smith, Robert W – Collins, Sam E
2. Steadman, Michael – Astaneh Lopez, Alex
3. Croad, Nicolas – Daly, Colm
4. Han, Daniel – Fitzsimons, David